Friday, November 12, 2021

Visiting George Washington's Marquee (or Pretty Darned Close)

 In October, we went to Newport, Rhode Island, for the dedication of markers for two Frenchmen who died there during the American Revolution. But that is not what I am writing about today.

The day after the ceremony, there was a gathering of Revolutionary War re-enactors. This featured the exact replica of George Washington's tent, which he used throughout the war. It was made completely by hand by the staff of the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia, which owns and displays the orginal marquee. Obviously, no visitor is alllowed to touch or enter the original. The replica is quite the opposite: it was created so that people could go inside and get a sense of Washington's mobile headquarters and bedroom. And so we did!




Here I am with the marquee behind me. The red bit on top is to protect against leaks. (The original has been lost, so you won't see it on the actual GW tent in the museum.)



A couple of the re-enactors. I can't remember exactly who they are supposed to be, but I believe the green-coated gentleman is a Newport merchant, and the guy in the striped pants is a sailor.



The tall re-enactor on the left was impersonating a French officer. As my husband is exactly the same height as Washington, it was easy to see that this guy would have towered over him.  (BTW I told him the story about Admiral de Grasse, who was about the same size as Washington, who was nearly always taller than everyone around him. When deGrasse met Washington, he addressed him as mon petit general,  which means "My Little General.") 

On the right is Tyler Putman, Manager of Gallery Interpretation at the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia.



Great fun!



Here my husband is demonstrating how Washington fit inside his marquee. David is 6' 4", which is GW's purported height. As you can see,  either would have to duck to move from room to room inside. The small enclosure being him is the bedroom. (We arrived which they were just setting up: eventually a replica of Washington's camp bed was placed in this room.)

The main room of the tent was used as headquarters, and another smaller room on the end opposite the bedroom was used for storage.



Here Tyler Putman is showing me that the shole tent is put together with hooks and eyes.  It must have been quite a challenge to hand stitch all of the "eyes!"




Here I am with Tyler standing at the front of the marquee.  After talking with him for quite a while inside the tent, I realized that he had been the host on a virtual tour of the museum for the American Friends of Lafayette, and also for a webinar done las January. As he had been bearded and bespectacled at both those events, I didn't recognize him until he told me his name! 

All in all, replica or not it was great fun to visit the past!

My only  regret is that I can’t go back to 1989, when I finished writing THE RIDDLE OF PENNCROFT FARM. I would have changed the location of Geordie and Sandy’s meeting with Washington at Whitemarsh: they would most certainly have been in George Washington’s marquee!






No comments:

Post a Comment