Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Rhyming History??? What do you think???

Inspired by Hamilton (the musical) and Longfellow (The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere), I have been entertaining myself by writing a rhyming version of the complete history of how Lafayette helped the U.S. win independence. I am calling this poem Liberty-Loving Lafayette (LLL). It starts like this:

So, listen up, my children, and I'll do my best to tell
How a teenaged French aristocrat served all of us so well.
Without his help, we might have lost our fight for liberty
And we'd still be speaking English like the Brit autocracy.


Now, LLL is pretty much complete, and I have no idea what to do with it. As advised by experts in publishing, I have done an exhaustive search on the internet to see :

1) If there is any other rhyming history out there, and
2) Does anybody want or buy it?

The answers to both of these questions appears to be an unequivocal NO.

The only book I can find that professes to be rhyming history is a history of England featuring poems by famous authors.

Hmmm.

LLL's word count is a bout 1100 words (I was trying to make it about the same length as "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere", which is 986 words long.) If illustrations are added, and if the stanzas are divided appropriately, it would be about the length of a children's picture book, 32 pages.

I have no idea if there would be any market for such a thing.

Please let me know what you think, at jensendorothea@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Dorothea



No comments:

Post a Comment