Friday, April 29, 2016

Book Launch Party: What Larks!

 Here are a few pictures from the book launch party we had for A Buss from Lafayette on Friday, April 22. I'd never been to or organized such a thing before, so I just included activities that I enjoy myself: talking, singing, dancing, costumes and music!

"We had a lot of fun.  Thank you for creating such a warm and inviting event," said one father who attended the party with his kids.

Here’s an audio recording (with illuminating pix) of the Launch Party Presentation , featuring a short talk about my inspirations for the story, a few excerpts read aloud, singing, fiddling, and a Virginia Reel!

DSC_0009
Ready for the presentation!
Here I am with my  Trusted Sidekick, Sienna Larson (left), and her daughter, Sara (right).

DSC_0035












Before the presentation, Sienna and Sara Larson entertained the crowd with fiddle tunes – many from the story!







DSC_0021My son, Nate Jensen, and his son, Stuart, manned the reception table!










IMG_6133IMG_6132


We had a “dress-up corner”, where children could try on clothes in the style of the early 1800s, the time  in which A Buss from Lafayette takes place. Here is Kelly Arnold posing elegantly in front of the Buss poster












And here is Kelly and her mobcapped younger sister Shannon.

Thanks so much for coming to my party, girls!



2016booklaunch-023_26703507422_o











We also had a table with word games from Buss and coloring pages and paper “action figures” from the Izzy Elf books.

DSC_0022












Here is the very special Buss  from Lafayette cake for the party. (No one wanted to eat the part with Lafayette and Clara on it. Interesting.)
DSC_0001










An appropriate backdrop: a quilt with scenes from Hopkinton, NH, where the story is set.

DSC_0006






The set-up: poster and copies of A Buss from Lafayette for sale. We also had free copies of the Buss reading guide (which can also be downloaded free from this website), bookmarks, postcards, and brochures.
DSC_0012











My husband and I at the launch party. Good times!




2016booklaunch-022_26730070181_o









There was also a display of items I wrote about in A Buss from Lafayette, along with printed quotes from the story mentioning each of these items. (Pantalettes, a pocket, an embroidery sampler, a “betsy” ruff, a mob cap, cone-shaped sugar loaf, several fans, etc.) Pictures of Lafayette, young and old, were also on display.
2016booklaunch-031_26703505682_o2016booklaunch-032_26193296713_o












School Slate Board and Pencil
2016booklaunch-029_26703506172_o2016booklaunch-030_26193297183_o
2016booklaunch-048_26730066991_o













Cone-Shaped Sugar Loaf


















Goody Two Shoes
















 Embroidery Sampler











Accompanied by Sienna and Sara, I sang a couple of verses of the song in which New Hampshire was first called “The Granite State”, written for the June 22, 1825 Concord, NH, reception in Lafayette’s honor. Sienna and Sara accompanied me. (The full lyrics are posted on this website on the “Granite State Lyrics” page.)









2016booklaunch-058_26730065441_o


My two grandsons helped with the raffle drawing. The prizes were two copies of  A Buss from Lafayette and a mug with the Buss cover on it. (Notice that both my grandson, Drake, and I have our eyes closed for the drawing, for an admirably fair and impartial selection!)




DSC_0047








After the raffle,  I invited audience members to join me in getting a taste of the era of A Buss from Lafayette by dancing a Virginia Reel.  These pix are of the “core group” of my friends who demonstrated the steps first. Later, half the audience ended up dancing, the other half whooped and clapped! (To hear the music and a whoop or two, click on this link: audio recording


It was a wonderful party. I am so grateful to everyone who helped me with the event, and to everyone who came and joined in the merrymaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment